Eastercon is over once more. The convention signs around the hotel are gone; the dealers’ room has been dismantled; and even the last of us are now home. But what a weekend! Not just for setting what must be a record for the number of cream teas served at an Eastercon (nearly 100!), and not just for being held at a hotel that can only be described as, well, majestic; but for the conversations, the shared discoveries, and the sheer fun of it. Our deepest thanks go to everyone who was part of Follycon: our four wonderful Guests of Honour; our performers and speakers; the committee, staff and volunteers; the management and staff of the Majestic Hotel; and every one of our members.
If you were an attending (full weekend) or supporting member, and didn’t make it to Harrogate, we’ll be sending you out your con pack in the next couple of weeks. It features:
- our Souvenir Book, with writing by and about our guests and about Eastercons, edited by Claire Brialey and Mark Plummer;
- our ‘Read Me’ and pocket programme guides so you can see what you missed;
- Lake’s Folly, a collection of fan writing by our Guest of Honour Christina Lake;
- For those of you who were members of the 1988 Follycon, a commemorative pin;
- your con badge and lanyard.
We look forward to seeing you next year at Ytterbium, the 70th Eastercon.
Follycon had a strong policy on photography and recording. We will link to recordings on the assumption that the policy was followed; if we receive objections that it was not (email us at firstname.lastname@example.org), links will be removed.
- Men in Science Fiction and Fantasy – A ground-breaking panel with acclaimed science fiction and fantasy authors Jaine Fenn, Juliet E McKenna, Jacey Bedford, and handsome male author, Mr Adrian Tchaikovsky.
- Preserving Fan History – As fandom enters its 9th decade, just how are we recording the fun, fanzines and feuds that came before us? Does convention history miss out due to the focus on the written word? Can the Internet save us from groaning piles of paper and boxes of rusting badges? Fan historians discuss their approaches, and how you can get involved. The panellists were John Bray, Bill Burns, Rob Hansen, Lapswood and Spike.
- Chad Dixon interviews author Mike Cobley
- Brave New Words episode 2:38: Live from Harrogate
We will use this page to collect links to con reports for Follycon. If you’d like us to link to yours (or if we’ve added a link that you’d rather we didn’t include), you can let us know on social media or send us an email at email@example.com.
- Doodles from a Follycon Panel – James Worrad
- Eastercon 2018 Wrap-Up – Edwin H Rydberg
- Eastercon 2018 – David Tallerman
- Eastercon Live Blog Part 1: Dracula, Icons & Transgressions, Follycon Live Blog 2 – Hangovers, Heinlein and Hugos, Follycon Live Blog 3 – the New Wave and Other Cognitive Biases, and Follycon 4 – Endings often Whimper – Matt Colborn
- Follycon 2018 / Eastercon 69 – Women and Words
- Follycon Convention Diary – Arthur Chappell
- A Follycon comedy video and a podcast on The Green Man’s Heir – Juliet McKenna
- Follycon Follies – Nick Larter
- Follycon Sketchnotes – Adrian Long
- My First Eastercon by Meryl aged 49 – Meryl Pugh
- Tax for creatives – Wendy Bradley
- TinyLetter 060: kaffeeklatsch – Kieron Gillen
- Prompted by our “Fantastic Read” panel, Tamaranth reads Lud-in-the-Mist
- Is it a folly? No it’s Follycon! – Marcin “Alqua” Klak
- Convention Review – Follycon 2018 – by Peter Tyers for Concatenation